Ukranian Borshch Recipe (borscht beet soup)
from Tania Vasyukhnik
8 ounces pork, chopped in small pieces
2 medium beets, cooked, peeled and shredded/grated
1 big carrot, peeled and shredded/grated
1 med. onion, cubed
2 med. potatoes, cut and cubed
1-2 garlic cloves, cut in pieces
3 tomatoes, cubed or 2-3 Tbsp tomato paste
1/4 of med. cabbage, cored and shredded (optional)
Spices (basil, oregano, and DILL to taste)
parsley to garnish
1. Cook beets until tender, usually takes over 1 hour.
2. Cool the beets down, peel an shred/grate.
3. Fill the medium pot with water, bring to boil.
4. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, add pork, fry for 3-4 minutes. Bring over to the pot with boiling water. After cooking for 10 mins, add cubed potato.
5. Fry onion, garlic and carrot over medium heat until tender. Add shredded beets. Cook for 2-3 mins. Add tomatoes or tomato paste, cook for the next 2 mins. Add salt and pepper. Transfer to pot when potatoes and meat are cooked.
6. Cook for 5-10 mins. Taste and season with salt, pepper, spices, and sugar if it is too sour.
7. Garnish wish parsley.
8. Serve with sour cream.
Back to Articles